Institutional Review Board
The Chief Dull Knife College (CDKC) Institutional Review Board (IRB) ensures the protection of human research participants by adhering to all relevant legal requirements and ethical standards and provides guidance and assistance to researchers undertaking human subjects research.
All projects that involve human subjects must undergo review by the IRB and all research team members must successfully complete a Human Subjects Protection course before research can begin.
Human subjects research is any research or clinical investigation that involves human subjects. To determine if your project meets the definition of human subjects research consider these definitions (45 CFR 46):
A systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge. E.g.,
- surveys and questionnaires
- interviews and focus groups
- analyses of existing data or biological specimens
- evaluations of social or educational programs
- cognitive and perceptual experiments
A living individual about whom an investigator conducting research obtains data through intervention or interaction with the individual, or identifiable private information.
- Intervention includes both physical procedures by which data are gathered and manipulations of the subject or the subject's environment that are performed for research purposes.
- Interaction includes communication or interpersonal contact between investigator and subject.
- Private information includes information about behavior that occurs in a context in which an individual can reasonably expect that no observation or recording is taking place, and information which has been provided for specific purposes by an individual and which the individual can reasonably expect will not be made public.
- CDKC IRB Application, complete and email to email@example.com www.cdkc.edu/IRB_CDKC_application.docx
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Web-based Training Module
- The Office of Research Integrity(ORI) Basic Research Concepts
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services(HHS) Office for Human Research Protections(OHRP)Online Education
- Code of Federal Regulations Title 45 Public Welfare Part 46 Protection of Human Subjects
- NIH Research Involving Human Subjects
- Informed Consent FAQs
CDKC Institutional Review Board
Phone: 406-477-6215 ext. 138